So far, by God's grace

Friday, August 22, 2008

A human being or a human doing?

I was reminded today of something I heard at a Bible study group long ago. The speaker made the comment "Are we human-beings or human-doings?" I was so facinateds by this that I wrote it down on a scrap of paper and tucked it in my Bible, and promptly forgot all about it, till it fell out of its nook this morning.

What an amazing thought to begin my day with! Considering that I woke up today feeling worried - worried about how my students would cope, worried if I was taking good care of my baby, worried about what my husband would eat for breakfast, worried about finances, worried about how I was going to manage keeping my home neat and tidy when all I want to do now is curl up and sleep.... so many worries.... so many "what-to-do's"

And then comes this reminder that God made me, to be a being..... and not a doing!!! I am reminded of the verse in the Bible which says.....

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink;
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more important than food,
and the body more important than clothes?
Look at the birds of the air;
they do not sow or reap or store away in barns,
and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not much more valuable than they?
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

"And why do you worry about clothes?
See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
Yet I tell you that not even King Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
If that is how God clothes the grass of the field,
which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire,
will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"

Hmmm..... Yes, God.... I know..... All I have to do is.... be still and know that you are God!


No comments:

Post a Comment