So far, by God's grace

Monday, November 22, 2010

I'm an inspiring reader!!




I'm an Anne-girl.

I have been in love with Anne of Green Gables since I first read the book as a 13 year old.

My Mom and I discovered the series one day at a hole-in-the-wall bookstore, while waiting for our train at Palghat railway station!! What an unlikely place to find this treasure!

My mother was on the lookout for 'good' books for girls to read. Until then, only "Malory Towers" and " St.Claires" were on her approved reading list. Nancy Drews were allowed with a little reluctance as Nancy had a "boyfriend" and that was not something she wanted me to be inspired by!!! So when she read the blurb on the back of this book, she was excited. I read the book over the journey and since then have read it at least once a year. The next time we traveled via Palghat, we bought the rest of the books they had in the series. (I don't think anyone else ever went to that bookstore after us!)

My love affair with L.M Montgomery's books continue to this day. There's always one of the books from the series on my bedside table. I think the reason I love Anne books so much is that I haven't found another book where I identify with the character of the book to such an extent that I feel had I been born last century in th P.E Islands of Canada, this book could have been about me.

Over the years I've inspired many of my friends to read the Anne books and almost all of them are fans too! The latest one to be bitten by the Anne bug is my friend Kavi!! I'm so glad there's one more thing we love together!

Here's a quote from the second book in the series - this book has the nicest quotable quotes


"After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."

Life at Green Gables was full of just such days, for Anne's adventures and misadventures, like those of other people, did not all happen at once, but were sprinkled over the year, with long stretches of harmless, happy days between, filled with work and dreams and laughter and lessons

- L.M Montgomery (Anne of Avonlea)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Anne of Green Gables! I think I've read MOST of the books. Maybe it's time to look for the whole set on eBay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Anne bug is the right word! Maybe as our girls grow older we can do something fun with these books for them! How i pray that both of them will inherit a love for reading books!..Thank you my well read friend!

    ReplyDelete