So far, by God's grace

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

a rooftop, stars, a song and God



I am currently teaching the solar system to my grade 4 class. I have always enjoyed this particular unit because we get to talk about the sheer ‘awe-factor’ of the universe. This year, since I am also reading the book ‘Crazy Love’ by Francis Chan, I showed my class this video. How awesome is our creator God!!

Talking about the solar system and the stars and the “wonders beyond our galaxy” reminded me of this song that is such a dear song to my family.

It's a song from the 60's by Ralph Carmichael. But of course, I grew up in a place where time walks slower and so I grew up singing this song.


In the stars His handiwork I see,
On the wind He speaks with majesty,
Though He ruleth over land and sea,
What is that to me?
I will celebrate Nativity,
For it has a place in history,
Sure, He came to set His people free,
What is that to me?

Till by faith I met Him face to face,
and I felt the wonder of His grace,
Then I knew that He was more than just a God who didn't care,
That lived a way out there and

Now He walks beside me day by day,
Ever watching o'er me lest I stray,
Helping me to find that narrow way, He's Everything to me.

My family had a little tradition. Any time there was a serious issue that needed to be sorted, my parents would take me up to the terrace (roof) in the night and we would sit down on the floor and talk about it. Of course, there would first be denial, then tears, repentance, hugs, kisses, new resolutions, prayer and then after it all, we would lie down on the floor and watch the stars. One of us would eventually break out into singing “In the stars his handiwork…” and the other two would join in. These were such special moments and I learned lessons for life here.

At that time, I never bothered to know what the words of the song meant. All I knew at that time was that I wasn’t too crazy about the tune and it was a song about God creating the stars and the wind and stuff. But now, that I have this song ringing in my head, I’ve stopped and actually listened to what I was singing.

Yes, God is the awesome God who created the universe, and he does live in splendor beyond compare but my parents showed to me then that he is also a God who cares so deeply about a little girl’s deeds, and who is full of grace to forgive her once she has repented.

And I can’t stop thanking God for giving me such wonderful, godly parents!


2 comments:

  1. Sitting down with your loved ones, talking and laughing and watching the beautiful stars...can't remember the last time I experienced this joy! You've just inspired me. Love you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual.. stirring. two things brought a lump to my throat. The time on the roof top with my dad. Second the song...Till I met HIM face to face even I didn't know He walked beside me day by day.. EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete