So far, by God's grace

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chinna Chinna Aasai

The song "Chinna Chinna Aasai" is probably my only all time favorite Tamil movie song. Yesterday, the Kindergärtners at my school did a choreographed dance to this song as part of our 'India Week' celebrations. It brought back some very fond memories.

I think I was in grade 5 or so when the movie was released. We didn't have a TV at home and my family never encouraged us watching most Indian movies as they didn't approve of the content. I used to get all my "filmi" news from my friends at school. When this song came out, it was such a huge hit, and the lyrics were so clean and pretty that my parents allowed me to sing it and take part in a choreographed group dance on the song at my school. We never watched the video to the song, and I don't know how appropriate the video is, but still.... beautiful song.


Here's a loose translation:

"Little little wishes
longings that fly away on flapping wings
wishes like little pearl drops
longings I hope to fulfill
To touch the moon and give it a kiss
To have the world spin around me.

How I wish
I could turn into a jasmine flower
To catch the breeze and fling a garland over it
To touch the soft clouds
To leave all my worries behind
.....
I wish...
To dance along a paddy field planting saplings,
To catch a fish in my hands and set it free again,
To drape the rainbow around me
To fall asleep inside a snowflake.

Little little wishes
longings that fly away on flapping wings
wishes like little pearl drops
longings I hope to fulfill
To touch the moon and give it a kiss
To have the world spin around me."


Beautiful huh??

Teh next post -- My very own 'chinna chinna aasai' s .


12 comments:

  1. Reminds me of your song diary with lyrics to songs - it had chinna chinna aasai written in it. You still have it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still do!! Every once in a bluemoon, I take it out, dust the cover , grab my guitar and sing a few songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song as well. Just as you said, parents never let us watch movies at home and so all 'filmi' related stuff was via friends. I watched the movie though many years later and it was a good one. Now that you translated it, it sounds like a Pocahontas song!!! Don't you think?

    Priya

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww..I love it too!!It brings back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is becoming a sure-fire feel good moment of the day for me! (contented sigh!!) Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Primitive L : I'm glad I brought back nice memories!

    @A&A: That's nice! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot... Site is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aptly said... Though, I understood the meaning of this song quite recently bt it was a feast to just listen to it, and all the songs of this movie... I had seen this movie in hindi, u knw the Doordarshan times, on national holidays, it wud be telecast in the noons... I wud rush home to listen to this song... its music is so mesmerizing and soothing.... How I wish I could go back to those times, mummy's lap n dos beautiful moments... Sigh..... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely music. Sounds so soothing. I have gone back to my singing Mukesh and Kishore and love Hari & Sukhmani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much! I've been finding the translation for years... Really love the movie though I don't undestand Tamil

    ReplyDelete
  11. A.R Rehmans mesmirising music made this song a hit and your translation is super Deepa not losing any meaning from the teenage girls wishws , thanks

    ReplyDelete