If you thought, since I posted so much over the last week, that I was having a fantabulous time, think again! Because honestly, it wasn't. When I feel down and out, looking back at the past really helps.
While the last week....and horrible 2nd week is still on, wasn't as bad as THIS week, it still was hard for me.
Here's what happened to our family:
Lil girl: stomach flu with HIGH fever for 4 days. She was like a zombie, refusing anything to drink and I spent so much time worrying about dehydration. 2 visits to the doc, battles over feeding her meds and sleepless nights.
The husband: fever, bad, bad viral bronchitis. One visit to an amazing doctor who charged Rs. 700 as consultation fee alone but got to the root of husbee's problem.
me: Totally worn out each night over a sick baby, a sick husband and a house guest. (She was so sweet and took all of these in her stride).... and then yesterday, I caught a cold!
So here's what I learned:
- If you think your baby looks cute, she looks her cutest when she is sick! (I am not being mean. If you have a baby, you'll know)
- Nothing shreds your hearts to bits like feeling helpless as your sick child cries "pleeeesh Amma, No medicines Amma!"
- Your husband is also a helpless baby when he is sick.
- The lobby at Apollo hospital is like a glorified railway station. The sea of people from all parts of India is mind boggling!
- A doctor can charge Rs.700 as consultation fee and not feel guilty. My parents charge Rs.20! And even that only to patients who can afford it and even this, doesn't go into their pockets!
- There are people who can come home to do a sleep study and it costs a bomb!
- Doctors and hospitals are expensive outside the bubble of a medical community I grew up in.
- Our friends really are friends indeed. They went out of their way to help us out.
- None of us are as healthy as our parents were at our age!
- Something HAS to be done about the above!